Sunday, March 3, 2013

the eye doctor

now, a visit to the eye doctor doesn't seem like a very interesting subject for a post; however, my appointment the other day made for a very (un)eventful day (plus, I don't have much else happening these days). I decided to go to a real eye doctor this year just to mix things up (not that the Costco ones aren't real, but thought I'd try an actual eye center for a change).

first, I met with a tech to get my basic history and reason for appointment; second, I met with a lady to fit me for contacts (turns out my existing prescription was pretty good so I felt fine about sticking with Costco for so many years); third, they dilated my eyes (with the less powerful drops for my sensitive blue eyes) and had me wait in the waiting room with my eyes closed so it looked like I was just taking a nice little nap; lastly, I met with the actual doctor who I greeted with my head down since I couldn't look anywhere near a light. I never knew an eye appointment could be so eventful.

upon leaving, I asked how long until the drops wore off - 3 hours, she said (it was 10:45 when I asked). I asked if I was okay to drive - sure, they said, it really only affects your vision close up. so off to my car I went to get some things done for the day.

turns out, I could see, if it was dark enough. I drove home wearing two pairs of sunglasses and my hand shading the bright sun coming in (the only time it was sunny that day). oh, and I couldn't see the speedometer so who knows how fast I was going. that made for some really safe driving...not.

when I went to check my phone, I couldn't see it, even at arms-length. people were emailing, texting, calling and I couldn't do a thing about it. (my first thought was, "is this what it's going to be like when I'm old?!") so the phone was out as well as the iPad, computer, books, new J.Crew catalog, recipes for the cookies I needed to bake, and the T.V. due to the bright lights so I napped. it was great, but not so productive. finally, around 1:30 I could see enough to get ready for the day (I still did my hair with the lights off, it was pretty).

about 2:45, with my pupils still dilated, but not as bad as they had been, I took a quick trip to drop off an application and have an informal interview. I wore sunglasses outside-it was overcast-and my pupils were huge the whole interview. she probably thought I was hopped up on something and I didn't even think to mention that my eyes might be looking a little crazy, but it wasn't normal. hopefully, those I know that work with her will let her know I don't actually do drugs.

finally, about 4:45, my eyes adjusted and looked normal again. what was that talk about 3 hours!?! lesson learned - don't ever go to the eye doctor when you have things to do; it ends up being an all-day event.

No comments: