Thursday, January 3, 2013

A Year in Review

I've been reflecting on 2012 a lot with the New Year and what I'm going to do to make 2013 better - 2012 just wasn't my best year. Good, but not the best. Here's a little bit of what happened in 2012 (kind of long so don't read if you don't want)

JANUARY
 -finally moved from the front desk and into an office at work and got a sweet scanner (January was really exciting)
-watched a lot of Utah Jazz games!
FEBRUARY
-thought I might go back to school and get an MBA and started thinking about studying for the GMAT
-Annie and Kellen got engaged
-started dating a kid. It was fun, but we probably jumped into things too fast in retrospect
-celebrated my mom's birthday
MARCH
-turned 25 and was relatively okay with it; celebrated with a ski weekend
-skied my first black diamond (just not telling you which resort or how long it took)
APRIL
-decided to not go back to school this year. laughed out loud in the testing center when I got my sad GMAT score
-Annie graduated from UVU with her BFA
-boy and I broke up, it was mutual.
MAY
-sat 7th row at a Jazz game thanks to a random stranger
-played my only day of sand volleyball all summer
-got the stomach flu and then couldn't get better. took more sick/vacation days than I worked
-made it through one blood test without passing out (the other 2 or 3 in a 6 week period didn't go so well)
JUNE
-finally got some sort of answer of why I was sick along with a "there's not much we can do for you"...ovarian cysts aren't life threatening but man, can they hurt
-Annie got married and her wedding went off without a hitch with so much love and help from family and friends
-went to the Strawberry Days Rodeo
JULY
- Celebrated the 4th of July as only our neighborhood can do despite a monsoon in the middle of our party. You can't go wrong with homemade ice cream, star sugar cookies and four huge packs of Costco fireworks. 
-Went to a Tom Petty cover concert with some of the hippest names in Provo. It was actually really good and we have some great talent in our little town.
-saw the "foot lady" (zonologist) and she got me feeling much better than any doctor I had seen. It's amazing what she can determine through the feet and what can be healed/improved with essential oils - I'm a believer!
-celebrated Annie's birthday
AUGUST
-celebrated my dad's birthday with the day off doing whatever he wanted
-booked a trip to NYC because Southwest had half-off tickets 
-went to the USANA Fest and saw lots of crazies, but had fun with friends
-had another ultrasound with the not-so-promising answer, "There's not much we can do for you, sorry you don't feel good!" (I have felt better since then, but still frustrated with doctors.)

SEPTEMBER
-traveled to NYC and Boston
-went ice-blocking
-got a new cell phone - Samsung Galaxy S3 - it's smarter than me!
-finally rode to the top of South Fork and back (not too far, but a huge accomplishment considering my health over the summer)
OCTOBER
-resigned from my job (retired as my friends like to say). I got stuck in a routine and quitting was part of my plan to make some needed changes to bring back the excitement in my life
-had a crazy month trying to get things closed out at work along with training two new girls
-finally spent a solid day shopping at City Creek!
NOVEMBER
-worked my last day at Canyon Park .
-went to the new Traverse Mountain outlets 3 times opening week
-got to watch the cutest girls around - my cousin Alissa's daughters Ella and Anna - a couple times a week for a few weeks
-celebrated Thanksgiving with family
DECEMBER
-started seasonal work at Color Me Mine
-visited the lights at Temple Square with friends
-went to the First Presidency Devotional at the Conference Center with friends
-best friend since childhood, Nina, got married to a great guy and they had a beautiful reception at Sundance
-caught up with Freshman and Sophomore friends Amanda and Melissa
-had a low-key but wonderful Christmas at home with our family and Grandma Lota

2012 was also full of lots of shopping, sushi nights, some dates (good and bad), evening bike rides, friends having sweet little babies and sadly friends moving away as they start their careers and families. Like I said, it wasn't a terrible year, but not my best. Here's to hoping that 2013 brings new excitement, better health and adventures in career and living situation!

No comments: