Thursday, March 12, 2009

so yesterday i decided to make a sandwich for lunch; i got the bread broiling so it would be warmly toasted, the balsamic vinegar mixed with the lettuce, and was just about to slice the avocado when the knife slipped and i stabbed my hand instead.

immediately, i started running my hand under cold water when i felt the all too common feeling (for me at least) of my stomach getting queasy, knees getting weak, and light-headedness coming on. i quickly dropped to my knees with my hand still sticking up under the water and literally started talking to myself. "kristen, this is ridiculous, you are not going to pass out from a little cut." i then sat down, put my head between my knees, and took deep breaths because i started feeling worse. "really, kristen, this is not something people pass out about." i mean it was a tiny tiny cut, like a paper cut and i don't even think i saw any blood.

luckily, i was able to talk myself out of passing out (7 minutes later), but i could not help but laugh at myself because i almost did pass out and all over a small knife cut. i have serious issues with sharp things going through my skin and my defense mechanism is to pass out--it's not a good thing especially when i know it's going to happen. last time i passed out i told the lady taking a blood sample that i should probably lay down because i was going to pass out--she didn't quite believe me, but sure enough as soon as i laid down i was out. it's like a 6th sense i have

i think i did some nerve damage with the knife though because two of my fingers were in a lot of pain yesterday and they are sore today; however, it was a small victory for me because i didn't actually pass out to get out of the pain.

oh and as far as the bread goes, it was black. i turned to chips and salsa because my desire for a sandwich had disappeared--there was no way i was using a sharp knife for the rest of the day.

1 comment:

Annie said...

HAhahahaha! Priceless.